While all agree the U. S. President has the complete power to pardon, why think of that when only crime so far is LEAKS against us.FAKE NEWS
Jul 22, 2017, 5:35 AM
from Business Insider http://ift.tt/1KWAF1c
Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton laid out a broad vision Monday to reduce gun violence in the US in the wake of last week’s mass shooting at a community college in Oregon.
The former US secretary of state’s campaign rolled out an expansive gun-control policy platform as part of the candidate’s campaign swing through New Hampshire.
"It’s time to act on gun violence. We simply cannot accept as normal 33,000 gun deaths a year," Clinton tweeted Monday.
Clinton has been outspoken on the issue throughout her campaign, expressing exasperation after several mass shootings and calling for policy fixes like universal background checks on gun purchases.
But many of Monday’s proposals go further than what she has advocated or supported in the past.
Here’s a look at some of Clinton’s proposals:
- Universal federal background checks. Clinton said she supports the 2013 US Senate bill expanding background checks on gun purchases, which most Republicans argue will not prevent determined individuals from getting their hands on guns. Polls have found that background checks enjoy broad support among most Americans.
- Close various loopholes. Clinton’s proposal cited several laws that allow individuals to purchase guns without undergoing existing background checks that look to ensure that gun purchasers do not have a history of court-documented mental illness. The proposal would end the "Charleston loophole" — referring to a shooting earlier this year in South Carolina — a quirk that allows gun sales to go through if a check is not completed within three days.
- Repeal a law protecting gun manufacturers from lawsuits. The law is fairly complicated, but gun manufacturers have certain special protections that prevent victims of gun violence from suing for negligence.
- Expand inspections of gun dealers.
- Criminalize purchasing guns on behalf of those barred from buying guns themselves. Clinton proposes criminalizing "straw purchases," in which individuals buy guns and provide them to individuals who cannot pass background checks themselves.
- Block convicted domestic abusers from buying and possessing guns.
- Improve laws blocking individuals suffering from mental illness from obtaining weapons. This is possibly an area that she could find compromise — gun-rights groups like the National Rifle Association have presented improved gun-control databases as the solution to curbing mass shootings, though many Democrats say this alone does not go far enough.
And the platform unveiled Monday also a contrasts Clinton with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont), her main rival for the Democratic nomination.
Though Sanders and Clinton agree on many gun-control proposals, such as closing the so-called gun-show loophole on background checks, Sanders’ somewhat checkered history on the issue allows Clinton to stake out a position to his left.
Sanders supported recent Senate legislation expanding background checks, but during his time in the US House of Representatives, he voted against the 1993 Brady bill, which required background checks for gun purchases. As The Washington Post reported, the NRA actually aided Sanders in his first congressional race based on his promise to oppose a waiting period on gun purchases.
- Here is where all the presidential hopefuls stand on gun control
- Donald Trump: Here’s why I would drop out of the race
- A visibly angry Hillary Clinton just went off on Republicans for their Benghazi investigation
from Ars Technica http://ift.tt/1NvguuP
Third-party root certificates could man-in-the-middle HTTPS connections.
from Lifehacker http://ift.tt/1ZlCY5o
Android/iOS: When you go out drinking with friends, there’s often a moment in which you realize you’ve had one too many: your judgement is impaired and driving is not an option. Drunk Mode can help you stay responsible when you reach this point.
After you download and register with the app, it can activate a few features when you enable Drunk Mode:
- Hide specific phone contacts: This way, you can’t drunk dial or text for up to 12 hours
- Integration with Uber: Helps you find a ride home
- Track your friends via GPS: So you can easily find them if you can’t get in touch with them
- Retrace your steps from the night before: Helpful if you accidentally leave your card somewhere and you can’t remember the name of the place
Once you activate Drunk Mode, it stays active for a set amount of time. You can only disable early if you can correctly solve an equation. For example:
It’s not foolproof, but it’s useful to have on hand. The app was originally designed with college students in mind, but it’s a smart idea for anyone who wants to enjoy a night of responsible drinking. See how it works in the above video, then check it out for yourself at the link below.
from Ars Technica http://ift.tt/1RxNpxn
Here’s your chance to make a collapsible plane or handheld laser flashlight.
from The Verge http://ift.tt/1WRd9rB
from Consumerist http://ift.tt/1P3x0CD
You might think that lots of rain would be good news for agricultural products, but it doesn’t really work that way, This year, high rainfall in Illinois, the area where most of our pie pumpkins are grown, means that pumpkin harvests are way, way down, and we might have to limit ourselves to only one slice of pie this Thanksgiving. …